Saturday Feb 21, 2026
Saturday, 31 January 2015 00:38 - - {{hitsCtrl.values.hits}}
The concessions were given under the former government of Mahinda Rajapaksa but critics in Sri Lanka opposed the move to give tax breaks to foreign gaming ventures.
Speaking to politicians, Prime Minister Ranil Wickremesinghe said the Government would withdraw the tax breaks for the developments with immediate effect.
“We will not allow casinos on their premises,” he said.
The previous Government had offered the concessions in an effort to turn the Sri Lankan capital into a regional gaming hub.
The Opposition, Sri Lanka’s influential Buddhist leaders and some members of Rajapaksa’s Government criticised the move.
Rajapaksa lost office last month. His regime had been accused of becoming authoritarian and corrupt.
The new coalition Government, which includes defectors from Rajapaksa’s administration, has announced a 100-day constitutional reform agenda which includes measures to increase transparency and end corruption.
(ABC/AFP)